Mapping Services for Open Space Application
This applies to you if:
- You are a first time applicant for the Open Space Program.
- You are renewing your application to place your land in the Open Space Program.
How Your Open Space May Be Assessed
The Rhode Island State Conservation Committee recently recommended that open space lands be assessed for tax purposes as follows:
- Soils with Slight Limitations for use will be assessed at 30% of Current Assessment based on Fair Market Value.
- Soils with Moderate Limitations for use will be assessed at 20% of Current Assessment based on Fair Market Value.
- Soils with Severe Limitations for use will be assessed at 10% of Current Assessment based on Fair Market Value.
In the absence of a soil survey map provided by the landowner, landowners will be assessed at 30% of Current Assessment based on Fair Market Value.
Conservation District Mapping Services
Your local Conservation District
can provide you with a soils map of your property as well as a calculation of the percentage of your property that fall into each of the assessment categories listed above. Districts can do this using a
computerized Geographic Information System capable of calculating exact percentages of soils on your property in each category.
Service Fee: $75 per hour
Soils maps are free from the USDA Natural
Resource Conservation Service (401-828-1300). Landowners may map their property boundaries onto these free maps if they wish. However, for the mapping service described above, Conservation Districts will
charge a fee of $50 per hour with a minimum of 1 hour and a maximum of 4 hours. We anticipate that most maps will take 1 hour or less. Maps may take longer if property boundaries are difficult to define
because there are no land features such as roads or land use changes to help define them.
How To Set Up Mapping Services
Mail or bring the following to the Southern Rhode Island Conservation District (SRICD):
- The Plat/Lot map from your tax assessor that shows your property. It should show all borders of your property, measurements along the borders
if possible or at least the accurate scale of the map and some roads. We must be able to read the measurements and the roads to locate your property and draw it correctly.
- Highlight your property(ies) right on the map.
- Write the name you want listed on the map, a contact person, address and phone number right on any materials you send.
- If you have a survey map of your property you can send it along as well; it will have more accurate measurements of your property. If you
don't have this, don't worry about it. We just have to be able to locate and measure your property accurately.
Here's what will happen
- We'll call you and set up an appointment with you if we don't feel confident that we can accurately locate and map your
- If we can locate your property and map it, we'll make two copies of the soil limitations map for your property and send it to you along
with an invoice. Our fee is $75 per hour with a one hour minimum. Most of the maps take one hour or less.
- We'll also mail any original materials you sent back to you.
- Our average turn around time for maps is one week or less.
- ou will turn one copy of the map in to your tax assessor and mail us a check.
Contact us if you have questions or would rather set up an appointment!